Friday, August 25, 2006

...a crocheted shrug

I've been wanting to try to crochet a piece of clothing without a pattern for ages, so I figured that the easiest thing to make is a shrug...(yeah yeah,I've got heaps of them, but one more wont hurt!..and only 2 sleeves and a back...what could be easier, right!?!)). I'm writing it down as I go coz otherwise, next time (if there is a next time!) it'll be a breeze to make.The yarn I'm using is 1 strand of Moda Vera Aspire, and 1 strand of Carnival 8ply. Using a 7mm hook, the tension is 10 trebles and 8 rows to 10cm square (I'm using UK crochet terms and making it to fit womens size 12 UK/Aus).
Right, the story so far!...I took the back neck measurement from an existing shrug, and made a chain of 18. Working from the top down I did 1 row of trebles, turned, and did another row of trebles increasing 1 stitch at each end of row. I repeated these 2 rows until the back was 20cm ... easy so far!
For the sleeve I made a chain of 8 and worked as I did before, until it was the same length as the back. I next tried on the sleeve to make sure that it would fit around my upper arm... fits!!

....ok, off to do some more crocheting...this is definately working out faster and easier than I thought...fingers crossed :-)

No comments: