Monday, October 27, 2008

Free pattern - Baby eyelet cardi

After finding out that our new grandbaby-to-be is going to be a boy (can you see this beaming smile on my face?!!), I decided to design and make him this cardi. I made the green one first as a test run, and changed what I didn't like about it on the blue...(which was basically just the neckline). This pattern is written for the new and improved blue version :-)

2 50g balls of Patons Zhivago Baby
4m
m circular needle
4 stitch markers
Gauge: 19sts x 25 rows = 10cm
Size: newborn
K=knit
PM=place marker
Increase=knit into front and back of same stitch
M1=make one stitch by working (K1, yarn forward) at beginning of row, and (yarn forward, K1) at the end of row
Decrease=K2together



Starting at neck edge, cast on 26 stitches.
Row 1: K1, PM, K2, PM, K 20, PM, K2, PM, k1
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: Knit row, increasing 1 stitch at each side of markers
Row 4: Purl
Row 5: Knit row, M1 at both ends of row, as well as increasing at each side of markers
Repeat rows 4 and 5 until there are 24 stitches for each front, 26 stitches for each sleeve, and 44 stitches for the back, ending with a purl row.
Putting sleeve stitches on a spare needle as you come to them, K24 stitches from 1st front, cast on 3 stitches (for the body underarms), K44 stitches from back,cast on 3 stitches, K24 stitches from 2nd front (98 stitches)
Start eyelet pattern:
Row 1: Purl
Row 2: K2*Yarn forward K2together K1. Repeat from * to end
Row 3: Purl
Row 4: Knit
Repeat the last 4 rows until there are 8 eyelet pattern repeats, finishing with row 4
Cast off loosely
Turn up at the last eyelet row and stitch to inside, to form the picot edge
Return one set of sleeve stitches to the needle (I worked my sleeves seamless, using a circular needle and the magic loop method, but they could just as easily be worked on double pointed needles, or straight needles and seamed later)
Rejoin yarn and either cast on 4 stitches, or pick them up from the stitches cast on for the body underarms. Place a marker in the middle of these 4 stitches to denote the beginning of the row. (30 stitches)
Working in Stocking Stitch, decrease 1 stitch either side of the marker on every 10th row, 3 times
Work 3 rows
Work 1 row of eyelets (Yarn forward, K2together K1)
Work 2 rows
Cast off loosely
Turn up sleeve at eyelet row and stitch into place on the inside
Work 2nd sleeve to match
Sew on buttons to correspond with eyelet rows. Depending on the baby's size, the cardi can be buttoned using any of the eyelets as buttonholes.

... Love to see piccies if anybody uses the pattern ... :-)

**instructions for a crew neck version of this cardi have been added here**



21 comments:

shazzy said...

Hey many thanks for this cardi... Totally cute and will be one to make for a new grand daughter to be> Ive got just the pink wool in mind too.
Ta
Shazzy

2paw said...

That is so cute!!! Congratulations!
Of course I like the green one best of all!!

Deb in Atlanta said...

Thank you for sharing your pattern! I look forward to trying my hand at it in the next few months.

catsmum said...

gorgeous - if I wasn't making a different top down baby cardi, I'd be casting on at once!

Suzy said...

Oh! Congratulations Linda, a grandchild on the way, how truely wonderful!!!

RT said...

I used your pattern and made this cardigan with variegated yarn. It came out very pretty. I can send you a photo if you like. Thanks!

RT said...

http://picasaweb.google.com/arthi.r/Knits#5282120641622002018

deb123 said...

Love the cardigan, on the increase row do you increase on the first stitch, the instructions say increase before and after so that would be an increase on the end then you come to a marker increase then increase then knit the rest of the row

spinpat said...

Linda,I love your pattern. I used lavender baby alpaca. I can send you film pics if you want; can't wait for my niece's baby in June. spinpat in Georgia

Yvette said...

Thank you for the pattern - I would however be interested to see what you did with the neckline on the green cardie - I really liked that effect you had! Any notes on it that you could also share?

Are you clickety click on Ravelry too? I am No1grandma

love

Y

lynne lorentsen said...

I just started this project of yours (<3 it) and wondered if you have any size variations beyond just the newborn? I'm knitting for a 3-6 month old.
thanks!

The Life of Brian and Amy said...

I'm almost there.... love the sweater, but I have one question.... on the sleeve, do I decrease one time every 10 rows, or once on either (both) sides of the marker, making it two decreases every 10th row? Thank you!

Ioana said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful pattern with us! I'm about to finish my first cardi using that pattern, pictures will follow on ravelry as soon as it's done.

JuicyFig said...

Hiya - this is just what I have been looking for - can't wait to get going on it!!! Will post a photo as soon as it is finished!!!

Kath
x

JuicyFig said...

Thank you so much for this pattern - I haven't enjoyed knitting a little project as much as this for ages! It took me a couploe of days due to interuptions etc, and my family are sick of me stopping at each stage and saying "look what the patterns done now!!!"
I have updated my ravelry projects with a photo - I chose quite a dark colour!

Thanks again
Kath

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the pattern. I used it to make a gift for a co-worker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25103514@N02/5429711242/

Maya said...

Hi, thanks for the pattern! This is my first cardi, baby or otherwise. I think I have done something wrong with the sleeves... is there anywhere I can see more information on how exactly to add the extra armpit stitches? I finished the main part of the cardi, and returned to my sleeve stitches to find that there might be a hole in each armpit when I am done...hmmm... Thanks!

Sarah ~ Crafts from the Cwtch said...

Thanks for the pattern - I just finished it. You can see the photos here http://www.craftsfromthecwtch.co.uk/2011/04/ta-dah-baby-eyelet-cardigan.html

Sarah
x

pep said...

hi can anyone tell me please how to add free patterns as i cant see where to do it ,
sorry im new to the site
hoping someone can help me
ty pep xxxx

Wormie said...

Love this sweater! I'm still a new knitter, and I have a question. When you describe the M1 as knit one yarn forward - is that the same as knit one and a yarn over or are you knitting with the yarn forward as though you were going to purl?

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this adorable pattern,my Niece has just found out she is expecting twins,looking forward to starting this pattern tomorrow.