Friday, July 28, 2006

 Posted by Picasa

ipod hoody

At last... I finally remade my ipod/mobile phone hoody, and this time remembered to write down the instructions as I went!
  • Using 8ply yarn (I think that its probably dk in the UK, and light worsted in the US?...but the tension doesn't really matter anyway, as "about right" is perfect for this hoody), and size 3.25mm knitting needles, cast on 22sts.
  • Purl 3, place marker, p4, place marker, p8, place marker, p4, place marker, p3
  • Knit row, increasing once into stitch before and after the markers
  • Purl row
  • Repeat the last 2 rows until there are 10 sts before the 1st marker, ending with a purl row
  • Knit to 1st marker and place sleeve stitches on spare yarn, knit back section and place 2nd sleeve sts on yarn, finish row. There should now be 42 sts.
  • Work in stocking stitch until body measures 10cm ending with a purl row.
  • (K2tog, p1) across the whole row.
  • Work in k1 p1 rib for 2cm before casting off the sts.
  • Rejoin the yarn to the sleeve sts, and work in stocking st for 8cm.
  • (K2tog, p1) across the whole row
  • Work in k1 p1 rib for 2cm before casting off the sts.
  • Hood - with right side facing, pick up 22 sts around neck edge, and stocking stitch for 7cm. Cast off
  • Join hood seam.
  • With right side facing and using novelty yarn, pick up 64 sts around front edge of jacket, and knit about 2 or 3 rows. Cast off.
  • Sew sleeve seams. Sew the bottom of the jacket closed (to create the bag), and sew half way up the front opening.
  • Finally, stitch the bottom of the sleeves to the body, to stop them from flopping around!

I hope that all makes sense, but please let me know if there is a mistake or if anything is unclear. Have fun if you decide to make it....and i would LOVE to see photos or comments :-)

Monday, July 24, 2006

Yay...another one skein wonder

Yet another one skein wonder to add to my wardrobe! This is by far my favourite shrug pattern to date .... heaps easy and heaps cheap to make! The pattern can be found at This is the 3rd one I've made...the 1st was capped sleeved as per the pattern, the second was long sleeved, and as you can see, this one is short. I used about 3 50g balls of Schachenmayr Nomotto Boston (which Lincraft at Westfield Marion were selling off for 49c a couple of months back ... 49c!!!!!). The yarn was a lot thicker than the pattern gauge so I just knitted a sample swatch and followed the instructions found here I changed the length of the sleeves by just adding 10 more rows and I knitted the edging in moss (seed) stitch to match the sleeves. The shrug and all of the edgings were knitted with the same size needle.
I love love love this pattern, and cant wait to make if only I could find some more of that 49c yarn!!!!